Thursday, May 14, 2009

The Joy's of being a Homeowner

Jeff and I have been in our house for almost three years. We've ever been improving on our home since we moved in, trying to make it more of 'our house' than the previous owners. We've done multiple paint jobs, refurnished the hard wood floors, painted cabinets, re-carpeted, tiled, new cabinets in our bathroom and many many little things more.
A few months ago we started spotting ants in the kitchen (I HATE BUGS) and I refused to use the kitchen so we started trying to kill them, but we couldn't find where they were coming from.
One night Jeff went to put something in the dishwasher ( a rare occurence believe me) and puts his plate inside then closes the dishwasher. A few minutes later I too was cleaning (something I have to do everyday) and opened the dishwasher and seriously almost threw up. In the corner of the dishwasher there was a swarm of ants literally crawling on top of each other. Some of them had wings and some were the size of ear wigs. I looked at Jeff amazed that he hadn't noticed it just a few minutes before when he was putting something in the dishwasher. Needless to say we murdered those suckers and dumped the dishwasher and bought a new one.
A few weeks later I was washing a blanket and it just wouldn't get dry. In the end it actually started smelling like it was burning. Turns out our dryer wasn't working and we overheated it. A few days later Jeff was looking at the dryer and noticed some water on the floor OUR WASHER WAS LEAKING! We went to RC Willey and got a rockin' yet still expensive deal on a washer dryer combo.
Last night I had a horrible night at YW. One of those days where you think 'I don't care about my salvation. I am never coming back'. Well, when I got home Jeff informed me that the disposal that he was supposed to fix was un-fixable. We now have to buy a new one. He had to meet me at my car because when I come home and it's dark he has to turn on the garage light because it's broken and won't automatically turn on when you pull into the garage.
If the lights not on I wouldn't brave our garage, we have an old big screen tv, old bathroom cabinet, old dishwasher, lawn mower and four wheeler not to mention a bunch of random things taking up the places our cars should be.

Did I forget to mention that the shower head in the master bath broke and if you don't position it just right it'll fall and squirt you like a fire hose?
Oh and the jetted tub that is a constant source of H20 for our dog's because of the non-stopping leaky faucet that rowdy climbs the tile to drink out of.
Our bedroom door doesn't lock appropriately. You can still lock it and someone on the other side can't turn the knob, but the second they give it a good shove it comes right open.
My green front door that is a law-suit hazard because of the temperature it reaches during a real sunny day?
The yellow patches of lawn amongst our front yard because the sprinklers don't work (and not becaue of Jeff's lack of trying).
The upstairs microwave handle.
The french door weather stripping.
The unused swamp cooler on the roof.
The broken garage keypad.
The toilet that I have to hold down the handle to flush.

It's been a rough couple of months, but I still love my house and I wouldn't trade owning my home for anything. Hope you got a kick out of my home-owner woes.

HAVE A GREAT DAY!

3 comments:

Hagen's said...

WOW! I never knew.When did it turn into a money pit?

Stacy said...

Atleast you don't live in a 4yr old home with leaking windows!!!! Everytime it rains we pray that our carpet won't be wet in the morning. And remember the mice. New homes shouldn't have problems right? Old or new there's always something that needs fix'n! Oh the joys of being a homeowner.

berttude1 said...

Ha Ha --Wait until your HOME is as old as ours and you and Jeff are TOO OLD to fix it yourself-- Then I will feel sorry for you--Love Ya
Grandpa B.