Friday, August 21, 2009

Is Twilight bad for your love life?

There was an article titled the above on Yahoo today that really bothered me. I'm a big fan of Twilight (except for the last book) and I really was entertained, but I really think that the article had a point. to read click here.
The reason why i am posting about this is because it's something that I've struggled with my entire life and still struggle with today.
I was never what I thought 'a sappy girl' who loved to play house, wear make-up, and go shopping. It seemed like a big waste of time to me and the girls always seemed a little . . . well . . . dumb. Whenever a girl sat and talked about her shoes I thought to myself 'and guys really enjoy being around this stuff?'
I think I am getting alittle off subject here, but the point is the article was claiming the book influences young girls to be dependent on relationships. Making them NOT independent and I aboslutely agree. I've fought my entire life against this sterotype always wanting to do things that peopel said I couldn't do. I can't tell you how many times people think I have a low IQ just because of my hair color, or they don't think I know anything because I am a girl.
But how many girls are out there contradicting this?
I get so sick and tired of reading people's blogs (then stop reading them I know) and they're about a girl who was married at 19, has two kids, and lives to serve her husband and children. I know there is nothing wrong with that, but I think women should have oustide interests too. Have things in life that are just for them so that when their kids leave they don't turn into the ward gossip because they don't have anything better to do. This is just my opinon so don't think i have anything against being a mom. I just think women take the easy road out a lot of the time because they are enabled by those around them. If women were forced to step up and take care of things for themselves I think they would surprise not only the people around them, but themselves as well. You'd be surprised what you're capable of when pushed. . . . but a lot of women don't do it. Sad. . . if our ancestors who fought for women's rights could see us now.

No comments: